Jul 31, 2013

All Aboard, Choo Choo Train Cake

                                                                The Choo Choo Train Cake


Kia Ora folks,

The idea of a train cake has been inspired by my 2 year old nephew Naryan who loves trains. He is totally obsessed with trains these days. I recently visited a train museum in Phoenix, Arizona and I was amazed to see the different types of trains there. I already sat in a Choo Choo train with my nephew and learned that each train has different names and Thomas is the most popular of all.



 Making a Choo Choo train cake wasn't a difficult task but somewhat time consuming. To begin with I baked two different cakes. For the engine I baked chocolate sponge cake in a bread mould and the wagons were made out of white chocolate cake slab. Out of one square slab I made 8 wagons of equal sizes and coated them with icing and set them on tracks which were drawn on the cake board with dark chocolate butter cream.

It is wise to bake the cake one day in advance so that they are completely cooled down the next day.


The following day I made two types of icings; Chocolate sour cream icing and Cream cheese icing. I used Neon food colors for making four different icings; blue, purple, pink and green.

It is important to choose your favorite candies for decoration. I got a variety of them like M & M’s, coconut M & M’s, gummy bears,small mint candies, dog bone shape candies, rainbow Twizzlers, oreo cookies & peach gummy wheels.  

The engine was an entire cake cut into smaller pieces and attached with frosting. The wagons were covered with cream cheese frosting with two wagons of each color. These were set in the refrigerator individually before decorating them.


This cake made him very happy and it was worth the efforts and time spent in making it. This cake reminded Naryan of the train park and he wanted to go there again soon. 

Hope you enjoyed looking at the photos and I equally enjoyed making the cake too.
Your Baker
Chica's Bakehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment